California Historical Landmarks in Amador County
California Historical Landmark 1007
81 Eureka Street
Knight Foundry was established in 1873 to supply heavy equipment and repair facilities to the gold mines and timber industry of the Mother Lode. Samuel N. Knight developed a high speed, cast iron water wheel which was a forerunner of the Pelton Wheel design. Knight Wheels were used in some of the first hydroelectric plants in California, Utah, and Oregon.
This site is the last water powered foundry and machine shop in California. A 42-inch Knight Wheel drives the main line shaft, with smaller water motors powering other machines.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 1007
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with Carl W. Borgh
and Historic Knight & Co., Ltd.
October 24, 1992