National Register of Historic Places in Alameda County
The Studio One building began it's life in 1894 as a home for children. It was constructed and operated by the Ladies Relief Society of Oakland. Founded in 1872 and one of California's earliest charities, the women-led Society was dedicated to providing housing and other services for the city's indigent women and children. In 1906, a fire destroyed the second story of the Children's Home. However, the facility was quickly rebuilt, and boys and girls continued to live there through the 1930s.
Studio One Art Center is the only city-run program dedicated to studio arts instruction in a wide range of media for persons of all ages.
Source: Studio One website.