National Register of Historic Places in Alameda County
John Tupper and Lawrence Reed constructed this building for their music store, which they established in Berkeley in 1906.
Architect William Raymond Yellland, a UC Berkeley graduate, designed many storybook structures. This one features clinker bricks, wood beam ceiling, slate roofs, balconies, fanciful decorations and a monumental fireplace. The iron cutout on the chimney top announced the Sign of the Piper restaurant, once located upstairs.
Following a 1959 fire, the Tupper & Reed moved next door.
In 2005, Tupper & Reed closed, just shy of being in business on Shattuck Avenue for a century. Details in The Berkeley Daily Planet.
When we photogrphed the building in January 2016, it was home to Tupper & Reed Coktail Bar.