National Register of Historic Places in Alameda County
The First Presbyterian Church Sanctuary Building was designed by Henry H. Meyers, an important regional architect who worked in San Francisco and lived in Alameda.
From the 1890s until the 1930s, many architects were inspired by Classical and Renaissance models when they designed public buildings, churches and banks. This church is an outstanding example of this tradition. The front elevation is a Classical Revival temple of the Corinthian order. The side elevations are Renaissance Revival.
A plaque on the front of the building reads:Organization of the First Presbyterian Church of Alameda began in 1864. By 1865, the church had 12 charter members. Traveling ministers delivered Sunday sermons until 1867 when Reverend Nash was installed as the first pastor.
The first sanctuary was erected at what is currently known as Central and Versailles Avenues. The sanctuary was dedicated on March 8, 1869. The final service was held there in late August 1903.
The first sanctuary building was dismantled, and the wood was used as the framing for the new sanctuary located here. Congregation member Henry H. Myers designed the new sanctuary building which was built in the winter of 1903-1904.... The sanctuary for this church was dedicated on Easter Sunday, April 3, 1904.
Dedicated April 3, 2004 by the Native Sons of the Golden West....Halcyon-Alameda Parlor No. 47