National Register of Historic Places in Stanislaus County
In 1908 the heirs of pioneer rancher John Patterson established the Patterson Colony and laid out a town with a plaza encircled by broad tree-lined streets. In 1921, the family donated land for a Carnegie Library. Architect DeColmisnil designed a Classical Revival building which served as a library from 1921 until 1976.
In 1976, upon completion of a new county library, ownership of the land and building reverted to the Patterson Ranch Company which put it on the market. The city considered its purchase but decided the cost was prohibitive. The building was sold and the interior was remodelled to accommodate private business offices.
The exterior with its fine detailing is unaltered.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination.
Some Carnegie Free Libraries in California: