National Register of Historic Places in Stanislaus County

National Register #75000490: Knights Ferry Historic District
21 June 2009
(Click Photo to Zoom)
National Register #75000490
Knights Ferry Historic District
Sonora Road and Ellen Street
Knights Ferry

The 1,070-acre Knights Ferry Historic District contains twelve contributing buildings and one contributing structure. A plaque erected in 1930 by the Daughters of the American Revolution stands in a small riverside park across Sonora Road from the Community Club:

1849 - 1930

Knight's Ferry was founded by Captain William Knight, a member of Fremont's expedition of 1844. This town was a center of great mining activity and a distributing point for the Mother Lode Country.

In 1854 the first sawmill and flour mill for the territory was erected here by Locke and Dent.

General U. S. Grant visited his brother-in-law, George Dent, here in 1854.

Knight's Ferry was the county seat of Stanislaus County from 1862 until 1872.

Erected by the Major Hugh Moss Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution of Modesto

Knights Ferry is also California Historical Landmark 347.

Name Year Address Remarks Sort Address Sort Name
Dent House (Long House)185017679 Ellen StreetEarly 1850'sEllen 17679Dent House (Long House)
General Store185217701 Sonora RoadOldest store of its kind in CaliforniaSonora 17701General Store
Hook & Ladder Company1871Sonora RoadSonoraHook & Ladder Company
IOOF Hall17615 Sonora RoadSonora 17615IOOF Hall
Knights Ferry Covered Bridge1862Covered Bridge RoadCovered Bridge RoadKnights Ferry Covered Bridge
Knights Ferry Hotel17713 Sonora RoadSonora 17713Knights Ferry Hotel
Masonic Hall187017500 Ellen StreetClassical Revival circa 1856-1860Ellen 17500Masonic Hall
Methodist Episcopal Church1900Shurl and Ellen StreetsEarly 1900'sShurlMethodist Episcopal Church
Miller's Saloon186017631 Sonora RoadSonora 17631Miller's Saloon
Schell House185617513 Ellen StreetClassical Revival circa 1856-1860Ellen 17513Schell House
Stanislaus River Grist Mill and Warehouse1854Covered Bridge RoadThe warehouse dates to 1854, and the mill dates to 1862. The original mill was swept away by the flood of 1862.Covered Bridge RoadStanislaus River Grist Mill and Warehouse
Prev | Next
Stanislaus County: List | Map
California: List | Map
Visit NoeHill on Facebook Visit NoeHill on Flickr Visit NoeHill on Twitter