National Register of Historic Places in Stanislaus County
This Victorian residence, Modesto's finest example of the Italianate style, was built in 1883 as rancher Robert McHenry's town house. McHenry, in addition to owning the four-thousand acre Bald Eagle Ranch, was president of the First National Bank of Modesto and was instrumental in the formation of the Modesto and Turlock Irrigation Districts in 1887.
McHenry's descendents lived here until 1920 when the house was converted into a sanatorium and then into apartments.
In 1976, the Gallo Brothers, Julio and Ernest, saved the house from demolition and donated it to the City of Modesto.
The restored mansion is still owned by the city of Modesto and is open to the public.
Source: NRHP nomination and Wikipedia.