California Historical Landmarks in San Francisco
California Historical Landmark 875
Old United States Mint
5th and Mission Streets
The Old Mint (1869), San Francisco's second, is California's only such Federal Greek Revival structure. Due to unsurpassed productivity, it became a sub-treasury in 1874. Intact after the 1906 disaster, it served as a clearinghouse-bank, thus aiding in the city's reconstruction. Closed in 1937, it was restored in 1972-1976 by Mint Director Mary Brooks
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 875
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the San Francisco Landmarks Preservation Advisory Board, January 28, 1977.
The third mint in San Francisco was opened in 1937. Although its address is 155 Hermann Street, it is best viewed from the intersection of Market Street and Dolores Street. The "New" Mint is listed on the National Register.
Miners brought bags of gold to be weighed and exchanged for currency. Armed guards stood on the balcony above watching the transactions below.