National Register #79000530
Fort Mason Historic District Boundary Increase
Bounded by Van Ness, Bay, Laguna, and San Francisco Bay
Commencing in 1797, and lasting through the Spanish and Mexican administrations of Alta California, Fort Mason was one of two sites in San Francisco Bay
that was armed with artillery for the defense of the harbor.
For over forty years under the American administration, it played a role in the coastal defenses of the bay from the Civil War to post-Spanish-American War.
It also served as an important element in the first submarine mining of San Francisco Bay in the Spanish-American War.
From the Spanish-American War to the Korean War, Fort Mason was the headquarters of the San Francisco Port of Embarkation
through which millions of men and millions of tons of supplies were transported into the Pacific. A long list of distinguished generals, commanding the Military
Division of the Pacific, live here in Quarters One and Two.
The collection of military structures dating from the 1850's to the Korean War illustrates the evolution of an Army post - and coastal fortifications to a lesser
degree - over a period of one hundred years.
The contrasts and many moods of the architecture, the effect of the Army's caste system on the quarters, the charm of the
earliest officers' row, the simple lines of the Endicott battery, the WPA architecture of the Great Depression, the Army's determination in landscaping — all these
blend together to present a history of this place and its times.
Contributing Buildings Sequenced By Address
Click column headers to change the sequence.
Click here for a printer friendly table.
|Commanding General's Quarters||1877||FM1|
|Officer's Quarters||1855||FM2||Originally a private residence.|
|Officer's Quarters||1855||FM3||Originally a private residence.|
|Officer's Quarters||1855||FM4||Originally a private residence.|
|Noncommissioned Officer's Quarters||1934||FM9||Occupied by a sergeant on the general's personal staff.|
|Entrance Gate||FM12||Entrance Gate from Bay Street to MacArthur Avenue|
|Tennis Court||FM14||19th century. Concrete.|
|Pier No. 4||1931||FM16||Replaced an earlier pier, c1870.|
|Waiting Room on Pier No. 4||1931||FM17|
|Mining Casemate||1889||FM23||Reinforced concrete.|
|Laundry||1941||FM32||Located within a group of officers' quarters. Stucco.|
|Waiting Room||FM40||Waiting room for a former streetcar line. Stucco.|
|Post Headquarters||1941||FM101||Construction Quartermaster's office and post headquarters. Stucco.|
|Hospital||1902||FM201||Later became headquarters for the San Francisco Port of Embarkation. Brick. Large frame addition built in 1917.|
|Hospital Steward's Quarters||1902||FM204||Brick|
|Flagstaff||1924||FM205||Replaced an earlier flagstaff on the same site.|
|Noncommissioned Officer's Quarters||1891||FM231||Wood|
|Noncommissioned Officer's Quarters||1864||FM232||Wood|
|Noncommissioned Officer's Quarters||1878||FM234||Wood|
|Post Headquarters (Original)||1864||FM235||Originally, post headquarters and storehouses, 1864. Later, converted to noncommissioned officers' quarters. Wood.|
|Hospital Steward's Quarters||1891||FM238||Wood|
|Hospital||1864||FM239||Originally two separate structures - hospital proper and steward's quarters. By 1884, they had been combined into one structure. Later, noncommissioned officers' quarters. Wood.|
|Barracks||1864||FM240||Originally two buildings. Later, they were combined and the structure was enlarged several times. Its late function was a finance office for the Port of Embarkation. Wood.|
|School||1864||FM241||Originally, a guardhouse stood here, 1864. It was moved and, later demolished. By 1913, the present structure had been built. It first served as a school. Later, it was designated as a barracks and as transient bachelor officers' quarters. Wood.|
|Battery Burnham||1900||FM242||One 8" gun. Used as an air raid shelter in World War II. Reinforced concrete.|
|Powder Magazine||1898||FM250||Spanish-American War. Reinforced concrete.|
|Provost Marshall's Office||FM302||Provost marshall's office and identification building for Port of Embarkation, date unknown. Stucco.|
|Gate and Guard Station||FM303||Gate and guard station to Port of Embarkation, date unknown. Masonry and iron.|
|Marine Repair Shop||1934||FM308||Marine repair shop for Port of Embarkation. Reinforced concrete.|
|Warehouses||1912||FM310 and 312||Warehouses for Port of Embarkation. Reinforced concrete.|
|Warehouses||1912||FM314 and 315||Warehouses for Port of Embarkation. Reinforced concrete.|
|Pier No. 1||1912||FM316||Reinforced concrete.|
|Pier No. 1 Shed||1917||FM317||Reinforced concrete. Rebuilt in 1934.|
|Pier No. 2||1912||FM318||Reinforced concrete.|
|Pier No. 2 Shed||1912||FM319||Reinforced concrete.|
|Pier No. 3||1934||FM320||Reinforced concrete. Enlarged in 1934.|
|Pier No. 3 Shed||1934||FM321||Reinforced concrete. Replaced an earlier pier shed.|
|Battery Charging Station||1935||FM322||Reinforced concrete.|