First Camp After Discovery of San Francisco Bay
On November 4, 1769, the expedition of Captain Gaspar de Portolá, after crossing
Sweeney Ridge, beheld the Bay of San Francisco for the first time. That night they camped at
a small lagoon now covered by San Andreas Lake. Finding the Bay too large to go around
and thinking they had bypassed Monterey Bay, the expedition camped here again on
November 12, 1769, on their return to San Diego.
First made a State Registered Historical Landmark No. 27, June 15, 1932. This site was
rededicated as a U.S.A. bicentennial project of San Andreas Lake Chapter, Daughters
of the American Revolution and the City of Millbrae, California on November 6, 1976.
Location granted by the State of California.
Monument base of serpentine rock, the official rock of California, furnished by the
San Francisco Water Department.