Lower Lake Stone Jail
Built in 1876 at the height of the quicksilver mining boom, the Lower Lake
Stone Jail was a response to rapid town growth and the urgent need for civil order. Stephen Nicolai, one of the first stone masons in Lower Lake, built the jail
from local materials with the help of Theodore and John Copsey. The jail is one of the smallest in the United States.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 429
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation
with the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus, Yerba Buena Chapter
No. 1, October 2, 1982.