Placerville Pony Express Station and Terminous
Gold rush town and western terminus of the Placerville-Carson Road to the Comstock, Placerville was a relay
station of the Central Overland Pony Express from April 4, 1860 - June 30, 1861. Here on April 4, 1860, the
first east-bound pony rider, William (Sam) Hamilton, changed horses, added one express letter to his mochila, and sped
away for Sportsman's Hall. On July 1, 1861, Placerville became the western terminus of the Pony Express, until its
discontinuance on October 26, 1861.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 701
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the El Dorado County Chamber of
Commerce, James W. Marshall Chapter 49, E Clampus Vitus, and the Central Overland Pony Express Trail Association,
April 2, 1960.