California Historical Landmarks in Sonoma County
California Historical Landmark 4
AKA Lachryma Montis
North Terminus of 3rd Street West
Sonoma State Historic Park
Purchased by State Park Commission through funds furnished by the General Vallejo Memorial Association and the people of the state of California. Donors names within building.
Tablet donated by Historic Landmarks Committee, Native Sons of
the Golden West.
From the California Office of Historical Preservation (OHP Website)
Napoleon, the youngest son of General Vallejo moved into his new quarters in 1865 at the age of 15. Here, he surrounded himself with the objects of his great love: the outdoors. At one time, he had in this room (and the lean-to behind), shotguns, rifles, pistols, fishing equipment, 14 dogs, 2 monkeys, 3 cats, and one parrot. All this Napoleon left behind when he entered the College of Santa Clara in 1867.
Sonoma State Historic Park contains six historic buildings: