California Landmarks in Shasta County
California Landmark 377
Pioneer Baby's Grave
Less Than One Mile West of Shasta State Historic Park
Charles, infant son of George and Helena Cohn Brownstein of Red Bluff, died December 14, 1864. He was buried near land established by the Shasta Hebrew Congregation as a Jewish cemetery in 1857, one of the earliest such cemeteries in the region. Since there was no Jewish burial ground in Red Bluff, Charles' parents made the arduous journey to Shasta to lay their baby to rest. Concern for the fate of the grave led to the rerouting of Highway 299 in 1923.
California Registered Historical Landmark no. 377
First registered July 28, 1942. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Shasta Historical Society, Kevin Moss Historical Fund and Trinitarianus Chapter 62, E Clampus Vitus, July 28, 1990.