San Francisco Landmarks
The Marsden Kershaw House is typical of the small houses that were built as San Francisco spread into the "suburbs" in the early 1870's. It was built for Marsden Kershaw, partner in Kershaw and Twing Coal Yard.
Notable for its classic simplicity, broad and well proportioned cornice around three sides, regularly spaced windows with projecting heads, and wide arched doorway with bracketed porch.
The house sits raised above the sidewalk on a landscaped base defined by low walls.
It is one of the earliest houses in the Liberty/Hill District.
Adapted from San Francisco Planning Commission Resolution 9040, July 1981.