San Francisco Points of Interest
On Frederick Street, across from Kezar Stadium, two mysterious Art Deco sisters, separated by three hundred feet, stand grandly aloof from their modest neighbors.
They are all that remain of Polytechnic High School which once stood between them but was demolished in 1984.
The original Polytechnic High School, located at the intersection of Bush and Stockton Streets, was destroyed by the 1906 Earthquake and Fire. The new Polytechnic High School on Frederick Street opened in 1914. The boy's gym was added in 1929 and the girl's gym in 1937 as wings of the original building.
The new school was announced in the City and County of San Francisco Municipal Record, Vol. IV, No. 3, 19 January 1911:
The Polytechnic High School to be erected on Frederick Street between Willard Street and First Avenue will comprise two buildings - an academic building fronting on Frederick and a manual training and shop building facing on Carl street
The exterior design will be purely classic modified to meet modern requirements. The ornamental cornices, belt courses and cast iron work will be simple but ornate and in detail will lean toward French Renaissance. The construction will be of reinforced concrete, steel, brick, and terra cotta with fireproof staircases. The academic building of three stories, basement, and attic will have a frontage on Frederick street of 330 feet and a depth of 81 feet, exclusive of an auditorium which will break back in the center, with an additional depth of 70 feet and a width of 98 feet.