San Francisco Points of Interest
The bulkhead building, built in 1918, is timber clad with stucco. A long structure that links Piers 29 and 31, it features a monumental pier-entry pavilion with a gabled parapet at the head of each pier that is flanked by flat-roofed wings, each two stories in height, to the north and south. To the north there are eleven bays between the entry pavilions of the two piers, while to the south there are three bays.
The detailing is classical. In the entry pavilions, monumental arches are lined with voussoirs topped by a keystone, and are flanked by monumental tapering piers. A course of dentils runs along the base of the gabled parapet, which has a curved front and rises to a flagpole. The stucco surface is lightly scored to resemble ashlar masonry. On the flanking bays, rusticated pilasters divide the facade into bays, which are also coated in scored stucco.
Pier 29 contributes to NRHP Listing #06000372: Port of San Francisco Embarcadero Historic District.
Streetcar 1052 is one of seventeen PCC's operating on the F-line. This streamlined 1935 design by the Presidents' Conference Committee of United States Electric Railway Leaders resulted in the most successful streetcar ever built. 4,500 PCC's once ran in thirty-three cities, including San Francisco.
Each streetcar is painted in the livery of one of these cities. Streetcar 1052, built in 1948, operated in Philadelphia from 1948 to 1989. The San Francisco Municipal Railway acquired it in 1992 and painted it to commemorate of the Los Angeles Railway Co which operated PCC's from 1937 to 1963.