National Register of Historic Places in San Francisco
In 2001, three buildings built between 1924 and 1926 were added to the district. 36 Fifth Street is a ten-story steel and reinforced concrete building. The Stevenson Street buildings are twin eight-story, reinforced concrete structures. These three buildings were built as a grocery store, warehouses, and offices for the department store.
Centered in the photograph, West Side of Fifth Street, is the ten-story building at 36 Fifth Street. To the right, stands the Hale Brothers Department Store at the corner of market and Fifth Streets. At the left of the photograph are the art deco Chronicle building with its clock tower, then the Greek temple of the Old Mint.