National Register of Historic Places in San Francisco
The Beltline Railroad Complex consists of the engine house (later called the roundhouse) built in 1913 and an accessary building, the sandhouse, built in 1914. Both buildings are reinforced concrete construction with an exterior finish of cement plaster. The buildings are simple utilitarian structures of this period, built to service the Beltline Railroad system along the Embarcadero.
The buildings, situated on a triangular site were designed to service the Beltline Railroad built in 1890. This system serviced the entire San Francisco waterfront along the Embarcadero. The setting of the buildings in association with the rail system still exists.
Adapted from the NRHP Nomination Form
The Belt Railroad Engine House and Sandhouse stand across the Embarcadero from Pier 29. The trains no longer run along the Embarcadero, but the historic streetcars of the F-Line run along the Embarcadero from Aquatic Park to the Ferry Building and then up Market Street to The Castro.
These structures are also San Francisco Landmark 114.