National Register of Historic Places in San Francisco
Between 1907 and 1909, the California Fruit Cannery Association - later renamed Del Monte - built the world's largest fruit and vegetable cannery on San Francisco's northern waterfront between Fisherman's Wharf and the Ghirardelli Chocolate Company. The complex included the 198,000-square-foot Haslett Warehouse designed by architect William Mooser who also designed the Pioneer Woolen Mill.
Canning operations ended in 1939. The buildings were used as warehouses until the early 1960's when they were slated for demolition. In 1963, developer Leonard Martin purchased the former Del Monte Cannery and converted it into shops and restaurants. The Cannery and Ghirardelli Square were pioneers and exemplars of economically viable restoration of historic buildings.
On March 16, 2002, a five-alarm fire destroyed the interior of the Haslett Warehouse while it was being renovated. Renovation continued, and in August 2003, the Argonaut Hotel opened for business. Today the building is owned by the National Park Service and houses the San Francisco Maritime Park Museum, a museum of San Francisco's maritime heritage. The balance of the building is leased to San Francisco's Kimpton Hotel and Restaurant Group for the Argonaut Hotel.