National Register #96001536
Downtown Winters Historic District
Period of Significance: 1875-1946
The settlement of this region began in 1842 when Governor Juan Batista de Alvarado granted 17,750 acres along Putah Creek
to the Wolfskill brothers. Theodore Winters purchased the land grant from them in 1865 to breed thoroughbred horses. Winters is credited
with introducing thoroughbred racing to the American West.
When the Vaca Valley Railroad chose Winters as its northern terminus in 1875, the settlement quickly became the hub of the region with
three trains daily. Crops included peaches, almonds, plums, pears, cherries, figs, oranges, barley, wheat. Two of the surviving
buildings were constructed during this period: Seaman's Opera House and Chulick's Market.
The Winters Main Street Historic District represents the development and evolution of commerce and agriculture
from the late nineteenth century to just after World War II. Buildings survive from each era starting with the coming of the railroad and
continuing to the rise corporate agribusiness. Despite many alterations to individual buildings, the district retains a sense of time and place.
The thirty-acre district contains thirteen contributing buildings located on both sides of Main Street between Railroad Avenue and First