National Register #76000541
Southern Pacific Railroad Station
H and 2nd Streets
The California Pacific Railroad Company opened a depot here in 1865
several years before the 1869 completion of the Central Pacific and Union Pacific
Transcontinental Railroad, which despite its name, was not quite transcontinental,
its western terminus being in Sacramento. Passengers arriving in Sacramento from the east
would transfer from the Transcontinental Railroad to the renamed
California Pacific Railroad Extension Company and continue by rail to Vallejo
then by passenger ferry to San Francisco.
The original wood frame depot, built here in 1868 California Pacific Railroad Company,
was replaced in 1913 by the surviving Mission Revival building.
California Pacific was eaten by Central Pacific which was eaten by Soutern Pacific
which was eaten by Union Pacific, the only surviving Pacific. The depot, still displaying
the abbreviation SP, continues in service as an Amtrack station.