Founded in March 1851 with the discovery of gold in the nearby "flats", Yreka quickly became
the commercial and transportation hub for the surrounding communities and mining camps. Yreka's
tents and shanties gave way to more substantial commercial and residential buildings seen on
West Miner and Third Streets which remain as tangible evidence of the town's 19th Century regional
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 901
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the city of Yreka,
September 1, 1977.