San Francisco Landmarks
Local 104 of the Sheet Metal Workers International Association built this labor hall in 1906, dedicated on December 29. The new "structure displayed craft and glory inside and out with an embossed sheet-metal facade, and ceilings and paneling of metal trim."
In addition to its offices upstairs, Local 104 rented its downstairs quarters to a saloon keeper whose bar was happily patronized by the tinsmiths and Building Trades Temple members next door.
Over the years Local 104 outgrew the hall and moved to Market Street.
The old Guerrero Street hall still stands beautifully today in all its old glory except for its missing emblem, a zinc eagle on a ball, that perched atop the building. The eagle was purchased by the union members sometime after the building was erected as a crowning ornament, a symbol of sheet metal artistry as well as trade union power. After the building was sold in 1979, some members came one night, as the story goes, and took down the eagle from the roof and brought it to its new downtown hall where it was displayed in a fine case within the building.
Local 104's Guerrero Street hall was designated local Landmark No. 150 by the SF Landmarks Board, the oldest hall especially built to house a trade union in California.