NoeHill in San Francisco Visit NoeHill on Facebook Visit NoeHill on Flickr Visit NoeHill on Twitter

San Francisco Landmarks

San Francisco Landmark #145: Buich Building
24 December 2011
(Click Photo to Zoom)
San Francisco Landmark #145
Buich Building
240 California Street Between Battery and Front
Built 1909

Tadich Grill, the oldest restaurant in California, was founded in 1849 as the New World Coffee Stand, later renamed the New World Coffee Saloon. John Tadich immigrated to San Francisco in 1872 and found work at the New World Coffee Saloon. In 1887, he became the sole proprietor. In 1928, he sold the restaurant to the Buich family who continued to operate it with Tadich's name.

The two-story building with a green terra cotta façade was designed by Crim & Scott. The interior has not been changed since the 1920's.

Prev | Next
County Index | County Map
State Index | State Map