23 January 2004
(Click Photo to Zoom)
San Francisco Landmark #125
Havens Mansion and Carriage House
1381 South Van Ness Avenue Between 24th and 25th
The following is excerpted from the San Francisco Landmarks Preservation Advisory Board Final Case Report dated 5 November 1980:
Charles Havens, City Architect for twelve years, designed this structure for his personal residence in 1884.
The residence and its original carriage house reflect the upper middle class lifestyle of San Francisco's Mansion Row of the 1880's
The residence is significant as a finely detailed example of French Second Empire residential architecture.
The Havens Mansion is a private residence.
Some buildings designed by Havens & Toepke:
- 1884: Havens Mansion, 1381 South Van Ness Avenue
- 1887: Residence, 2965 Washington Street
- 1891: Residence, 601 Steiner Street
- 1895: Daly Residence, 900-902 Guerrero Street
- 1897: San Francisco Yacht Club, 99 Yacht Road
- 1897: Laidlaw-Stanford House, 3232 Jackson Street
- 1901: Residence, 1964 Pacific Avenue
- 1905: Residence, 15 Presidio Terrace
- 1908: Masky Building, 48-52 Kearny Street
- 1908: Residence, 2957-2961 Washington Street
- 1908: Flatiron Building, Intersection of Market, Sansome and Sutter Streets
- 1909: Bartlett Doe Building, 153 Kearny Street