San Francisco Landmarks
Albert S. Samuels immigrated from Austria with his parents and arrived in San Francisco in 1893. Mr. Samuels became a watchmaker and opened his company at 895 Market Street in 1909.
In 1915, Samuels commissioned a street clock from Joseph Mayer of Seattle, possibly inspired by the Pan Pacific Exhibition.
When Samuels moved his store to 856 Market Street in 1943, the clock moved with him.
Samuels died in 1973, and his business was sold a few years later. The clock became a San Francisco landmark in 1975.
In 1990, the clock stopped.
It was restored to operation and its original appearance by The Market Street Timekeepers and rededicated on 20 October 2000.