San Francisco Landmarks
The Stanyan Residence is the oldest surviving house in this part of The City. Bush Street was still a toll road when the house was erected in 1854, just five years after the beginning of the Gold Rush.
The original occupant was San Francisco Supervisor Charles Stanyan, who helped The City acquire the land for Golden Gate Park, and the house remained in the Stanyan family for more than 100 years. Stanyan Street in the Haight Ashbury was named after the supervisor.
Many prefabricated houses were shipped to San Francisco from New England during the Gold Rush era, but this "Boston House" is one of the few that have been positively identified as having come 'round the Horn.
The house remains a private residence.