San Francisco Landmarks
Although Water Department records show 1873 as the first date of service, the age of the building is uncertain.
In 1873, the building was occupied by a firm of carriage painters. Around 1880, the Ghirardelli Company purchased the building to expand their chocolate and spice manufacturing business located next door.
The Ghirardellis continued to use the two buildings until approximately 1894, when the manufactory was moved to North Point Street while the retail outlet and offices remained at 617 Sutter Street.
After 1895 or 1900, the building was used for the manufacture of paper tubes. Then it was a tobacco warehouse. Around 1920, it was home to the Petri Italian American Cigar Company. In the 1940's it became a paper warehouse.
In the 1951-52 revival of Jackson Street, it was converted for use by interior designers.
Source: adapted from San Francisco Planning Commission Resolution 6283 dated October 24, 1968.
The Ghirardelli Annex is in the Jackson Square Historic District.