National Register of Historic Places in San Francisco
One of the earliest residences constructed in San Francisco's old Park Hill and Flint Tracts, the De Lano residence was built twenty-six years before the streets surrounding Buena Vista Park were cut through and named and numbered as they are today.
Until 1895, the street was named South Broderick, and the house was numbered 113-115. In 1909, the street was renamed Buena Vista Terrace, and the present house number was assigned, probably as a result of the number of new residences constructed along the street about that time.
Architecturally, the De Lano House is significant for its Italianate styling which combines Classical and Classical Revival detailing with the rectangular, three-story bay tier of the Stick Style.
Most unusual are the intricately wrought cast iron Corinthian capitals which surmount wooden columns and pilasters, fluted at the base but smooth above. Cast iron supports and ornament are most often associated with commercial structures, and where employed, their use is total. It is unusual to find cast iron used in residential buildings and rare to find cast iron capping wood members
Excerpted from the NRHP Nomination Form.