California Historical Landmarks in San Mateo County
California Historical Landmark 343
Old Store at La Honda
Northwest Corner of La Honda and Sears Ranch Roads
In the winter of 1861-62, John L. Sears settled in the mountains 17 miles from Redwood City. He named the place La Honda and built a store that was sometimes called the 'Bandit-Built Store' because two men that he employed, Jim and Bob Younger, newcomers to the area, were later proved to be members of the James Boys gang.
Citation from California Office of Historic Preservation
The store is gone and we were unable to locate a commemorative plaque.