Adams and Company Building
Erected in the fall of 1853, this building was occupied during 1853-1855 by Adams and Co.'s express and
banking house. The Alta Telegraph Co., California State Telegraph Co., Pacific Express Co., California Stage
Co., Sacramento City Bank, and Wells Fargo & Co. also had offices here in the 1850s. During May-October 1861,
Wells Fargo & Co. were agents here of the western portion of the Central Overland Pony Express until it was
discontinued on October 26, 1861 on completion of the transcontinental telegraph.
California Office of Historic Preservation