In the fall of 1864, Mr. Griffith Griffith, a native of Wales,
established the quarry located near this site which was later to supply high-quality granite for a number of
the important buildings in San Francisco and Sacramento, including portions of the
state capitol. This was also the site of the state's first successful granite polishing mill, erected in 1874.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 885
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with
the Placer County Park and Historical restoration Commission, May 7, 1976.