City of Auburn
Gold discovered near here by Claude Chana May 16, 1848. Area first known as
"North Fork" or "Wood's Dry Diggins". Settlement given name of Auburn in
fall of 1849. Soon became important mining town, trading post, and stage
terminal. County seat of Sutter County 1850 and Placer
County 1851. Destroyed by fire in 1855, 1859, and 1863.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 404
Tablet placed by the California Centennials Commission. Base furnished by
Placer County Historical Society.
Dedicated September 23, 1950