The $600,000 construction contract for the Patterson Bridge was awarded to the Mercer Frazer Co. of Eureka, California.
Work started in March 1930, and the bridge was opened approximately 660 days later. The head bridge engineer
for the Oregon Highway Department was Conde B. McCollough noted for bridge designs which combine grace and beauty with
The bridge was the first in the United States to use a construction technique developed by French engineer Ernest Freyssinet,
a technique based on arches built in two segments and welded together at the crown to create prestressed concrete arches.
On May 28, 1932, over five thousand people attended the dedication party which commenced when Vice President Charles Curtis,
pressed a Gold Telegraph key at the White House. What followed was a wild party with carnival games, boat races,
live bands, and a massive salmon barbecue.