National Register of Historic Places in Carson City
St. Charles-Muller's Hotel, in the vernacular Italianate style, was the first permanent hostelry in Carson City, built at a time when the city was in its infancy and important government monuments such as the Capitol building had not been conceived.
It is the only commercial brick structure from that era remaining in the city and is the oldest continuously operating hotel in the State of Nevada, having served the public from 1862 to the present day .
George Remington and Albert Muller, young men in their twenties, thought that Carson City was destined to become the capital of the Nevada Territory and decided to build a substantial brick hotel. They liked the Name "St. Charles" since many of the finest eastern hotels were so named.
They built two hotels, side-by-side, pretentiously [!!] located across the street from the "Playa", where one day they knew the Nevada State Capital building would be constructed.
Whether by the flip of a silver dollar, or by mutual agreement, Remington gained title to the name St. Charles.
Source: NRHP Nomination Form