National Register #74000536
Mono County Courthouse
Mono County was created on April 21, 1861, as the first California mining county on the eastern slope
of the Sierra Nevada. The county seat was established at Aurora, but a state boundary survey in
1863 revealed that Aurora lay in the Nevada Territory, three miles from the California border.
The presiding judge immediately shut down the courthouse in Aurora and decreed that no more
cases could be tried there.
Mono County voters selected Bridgeport as their new county seat. In 1880,
this Italianate courthouse was completed. It continues to house the
California Superior Court.
A plaque mounted by the main entrance reads: