National Register #84000773
Fresno Brewing Company Office and Warehouse
100 M Street
This two-storey brick building is all that survives of the
Fresno Brewing Company, originally a complex of buildings occupying twenty acres.
The six-storey brewery proper was considered a skyscraper when it was built in 1900 by
Ernst Eilert from Wisconsin. The Eilert family brewed beer from 1900 until the beginning of
Prohibition in 1919. During Prohibition, Eilert Products bottled non-alcoholic drinks,
but returned to beer production upon Repeal in 1933. In 1942, the brewery complex was
purchase by Grace Brothers Brewery of Santa Rosa, California.
In 1955, the brewery building was demolished. The surviving Fresno Brewing Company Office and Warehouse building is one of the oldest
industrial buildings in Fresno and one of the few surviving early 20th Century buildings constructed
entirely of brick, a construction technique once common in Fresno.
The building is attributed to architect Eugene Mathewson based upon its Romanesque design and