California Historical Landmarks in Calaveras County
California Historical Landmark 276
SR 49 at Stanislaus River
New Melones Reservoir
State Registered Landmark No. 276
In 1848 John W. Robinson and Stephen Mead established ferry transport for freight, animals and persons across river. In 1856 Harvey Wood purchased interest and later acquired property which was maintained by Wood Family until 1911. Charges were 50 cents for each passenger, horse, jenny or other animal.
Marker placed by California Centennials Commission
Base furnished by Angels Camp Lions Club
Dedicated May 22, 1949
Founder of Mother Lode Association in 1919, which created Colorful Highway 49 - California's first highway association.
Plaque and 100 year capsules placed on July 23, 1976 by Golden Chain Council of the Mother Lode and Grand Council of E. Clampus Vitus