California Historical Landmarks in Butte County
California Historical Landmark 329
Rancho del Arroyo Chico
A vast expanse covering 26,000 acres, Rancho Chico was purchased in 1849-50 by John Bidwell. In 1865 he began construction of the mansion nearby, which in time became the social and cultural center of the upper Sacramento Valley. It was through his advancement of agriculture, however, that Bidwell made his greatest contribution. The introduction here of plants from all over the world opened the door to California's present agricultural treasure house.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 329
Plaque placed by the California State Parks Commission in cooperation with historical groups of Butte County.
May 7, 1966