National Register #78000645
2045 Shattuck Avenue
For a few years, the five-story, masonry Studio Building was the tallest building in downtown Berkeley until the
Shattuck Hotel claimed this superlative in 1909. At the time, the Southern Pacific railroad tracks
ran by the building where the northbound lanes of Shattuck Avenue run today. The
Southern Pacific Station stood near today's Bart Station.
The building, designed by an unrecorded architect, was constructed by Frederick H. Dakin for his
company which invested in gold mines
The building takes its name from the fifth floor which was designed as a studio for artists.
Frederick H. Meyer founded the College of Arts and Crafts during a brief tenancy after the 1906 earthquake.