Iron Door Saloon
This building is the oldest liquor-serving establishment in the State of
California. It bagan life in 1852 as "The Granite Store" built by Peter King.
It operated as a general mercantile with, of course, the obligatory "plank over
flour barrels" serving liquor to thirsty miners.
In the 1860's postmaster Jim Tannahill bought the store which also functioned as the town's
post office for almost 25 years. In 1896 Giacomo de Ferrari turned the building into a full
fledged saloon. It became named "The Iron Door Saloon" in 1937. Since 1985, it has been owned
by Peter and Bettike Barsotti.
Dedicated by Matuca Chapter 1849 E Clampus Vitus Aug. 14, 1999 6004
Credo quia absurdum