Old Tehama County Jail
Construction of the jail by Casper Cobb, began Sept. 9, 1894. Supervisor John Simpson was given credit
for pushing the approval through the Board of Supervisors. On Oct. 6, the board accepted the completed
building at a cost of $1,153. The jail was used for holding prisoners overnight for transportation to the
county seat at Red Bluff. Including one rustler who escaped through a hole he beat through the wall and a
thief who lifted the front door off its hinges, the jail housed many a drunk who needed to sleep it off,
to walk out its unlocked doors in the morning. The county officially closed the jail in August, 1914.
Dedicated July 28, 2001, by Lassen-Loomis Outpost 1914 & Trinitarianus Chapter #62 of E Clampus Vitus.