National Register of Historic Places in Stanislaus County
The LaGrange Odd Fellows Hall is executed in a vernacular Greek Revival style popular in California during the 1850's. The standard classical motifs enhancing the facade are the modified roof pitch recalling the equilateral proportions of a Greek pediment, box cornice returns, tall narrow pilasters bracketing the building and the three bay division with central doorway.
The trim appears to have been painted green originally, contrasting with the white clapboard siding. Adapted from a New England tradition, this color scheme was one often employed in mid-nineteenth century California.
The rubble stone foundation is also typical for the period. The porch appears to have been added. Ornamented with picturesque jigsaw work, it probably dates to the latter part of the nineteenth century. Numerous other rooms have been constructed at the side and rear of the main structure.
Excerpted from the NRHP nomination dated 28 February 1979.
A plaque in front of the building reads:LaFayette Historical Lodge #65
This is one of the oldest continuously occupied buildings in LaGrange. In 1857, Lodge #65 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of California was formed.
The Odd Fellows purchased the two story jail from the County in 1862 and it was used for meetings until 1880. In 1880 land was purchased from Mrs. Margaret A. Basso for $100 - in gold coin. G. W. Jones, a member was contracted to build a two story structure for $1350. The style was indicative of the Greek Revival architecture.
The new Lodge was completed including two outhouses behind the building, on November 13, 1880. The official dedication was held on April 26, 1881. In February 1883, Alfred Warrington was paid $15 to make 16" high gilded letters to adorn the front of the Lodge. In 1884, a front porch was added for $15 and in 1885 new handmade wooden chairs came by ship from London by way of Cape Horn. These chairs are still in use today. Electric lights were added in 1908.
LaGrange was the Stanislaus County Seat from 1856-1862.
Paul W. Johnson
Noble Grand Humbug
Estanislao Chapter No. 58
E Clampus Vitus
Dedicated April 19, 2003
Clamper Year 6008
"Credo Quia Absurdum"
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.) is an altruistic fraternal organization derived from the similar English Oddfellows service organizations which came into being during the 1700s....Although in Britain the Odd Fellows tended to meet in pubs, in the U.S. the lodges often built their own facilities. Many of these are now on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places....
From Wikipedia entry for Independent Order of Odd Fellows
Historic IOOF Buildings in California
Historic IOOF Buildings in Nevada
Historic IOOF Buildings in Oregon
Historic IOOF Buildings in Utah