San Francisco Landmarks
The woodframe Frank G. Edwards House, constructed in 1883 as one of the first buildings in this block, is a noteworthy example of transitional, flat-front Italianate design. The architect was Joseph Gosling and the builder was Florence Crowley. The setback of the house allowed for a front yard, unusual in this densely built neighborhood. The brick retaining wall is original.
Frank Edwards emigrated to the United States from England and lived in New York City, St. Louis and New Orleans before arriving in San Francisco in 1852 aboard the clipper ship Eureka. He prospected for gold for two years, then became a paper hanger in San Francisco. (The interior of the house retains the original wall and ceiling paper.) In 1859 he established his own firm specializing in wall papers and imported furniture.
(Source: San Francisco Landmarks Preservation Advisory Board Final Case Report Approved 6 April 1988)
For more aboute the Frank G. Edwards House, please see National Register Listing #82000986.