National Register of Historic Places in San Francisco
The building on the corner (600 Howard Street) was built in 1909, but the architect is unknown.
The adjacent six-story white building (606-612 Howard Street) is the Merritt Building, designed by the Reid Brothers and built in 1907.
The 26-story Art Deco skyscraper in the background is the AT&T building (140 New Montgomery Street) built in 1924. The AT&T Building is not located within the District.
(Click Photo to Zoom)
Before the 1906 Earthquake and Fire, the area that was to become the Second and Howard Street District contained mostly smaller buildings, about a third of them frame. There were quite a few dwellings and lodging houses, a glove factory, a patent medicine factory, a book bindery, plumbers, some restaurants, more saloons, and a large number of stores not specifically identified on the Sanborn map of 1905.
The earthquake and subsequent three day fire totally destroyed the District. If any walls were left standing, they were later demolished for the construction of the buildings that form the District.
The Second and Howard Street District is comprised of 310 acres containing nineteen contributing buildings.
|Name||Year||Address||Remarks||Sort Address||Sort Name|
|United Sheet Metal Works||1910||579 Howard Street||Ross & Burgren, architects||Howard 579||United Sheet Metal Works|
|R. W. Kinney Building||1906||580 Howard Street||A. W. Smith, architect||Howard 580||R. W. Kinney Building|
|Peters Cartridge co.||1912||583-587 Howard Street||W. J. Miller, architect||Howard 582||Peters Cartridge co.|
|Building at 589-591 Howard Street||1906||589-591 Howard Street||Frank S. Van Ttees, architect||Howard 589||Building at 589-591 Howard Street|
|Merritt Building||1907||606-612 Howard Street||Reid Brothers, architects||Howard 606||Merritt Building|
|N. Clark & Sons Building||1909||116 Natoma Street||Cunningham & Politeo||Natoma 116||N. Clark & Sons Building|
|Standard Building||1907||111-121 New Montgomery Street||Reid Brothers, architects||New Montgomery 111||Standard Building|
|Greenwood Block||1907||137-163 New Montgomery Street||Henry A. Schulz, architect||New Montgomery 137||Greenwood Block|
|Rapp Building||1907||121-131 Second Street||Reid Brothers. See photo at bottom of page.||Street 02 121||Rapp Building|
|Excelsior Glove Factory||1907||132-140 Second Street||John Cotter Pelton, architect||Street 02 132||Excelsior Glove Factory|
|Frederick Post Company||1906||133-137 Second Street||William Curlett, architect||Street 02 133||Frederick Post Company|
|Rincon Building||1907||141-145 Second Street||John Cotter Pelton, architect||Street 02 141||Rincon Building|
|Building at 149-155 Second Street||1908||149-155 Second Street||John A. Ettler, architect||Street 02 149||Building at 149-155 Second Street|
|Building at 156-160 Second Street||1909||156-160 Second Street||Architect unknown||Street 02 156||Building at 156-160 Second Street|
|Marcus Modry Building||1907||163 Second Street||Henry C. Farley, contractor||Street 02 163||Marcus Modry Building|
|Electric Building||1906||165-173 Second Street||John Cotter Pelton, architect||Street 02 165||Electric Building|
|Building at 168 Second Street||1907||168 Second Street||Hermann Barth, architect||Street 02 168||Building at 168 Second Street|
|Building at 182-198 Second Street||1909||182-198 Second Street and 600 Howard Street||Architect unknown. See photo at top of page.||Street 02 182||Building at 182-198 Second Street|
|Building at 191-197 Howard Street||1907||191-197 Howard Street||Ross & Burgren, architects||Howard 191||Building at 191-197 Howard Street|
The Rapp Building, designed by the Reid Brothers, was built just after the 1906 Eartquake and Fire.
The 26-story building behind the Rapp Building is 55 Second Street, an office building completed in 2000. The entrance to 55 Second Street is a four story atrium to the left of the Rapp Building in the photograph.