Captain John A. Sutter's Landing
Captain John A. Sutter, after coming up the Sacramento River from Yerba Buena in August 1839, landed approximately two hundred
feet north of here, at what was then the south bank of the American River. A short time thereafter he moved to the site where he
established a permanent camp, and later built his fort. Sutter and his men were the first settlers within the present city limits of Sacramento.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 591
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Native Sons and Native Daughters of the
Golden West and the Sacramento Historic Landmarks Commission. August 24, 1958.