National Register #02001391
Trailhead at Terminous of North Canyon Way
The Stevens Trail was originally owned and surveyed by gold miner John Rutherford.
Rutherford soon partnered with another miner, Truman A. Stevens, to build the road
connecting the Gold Rush towns of Illinoistown and Iowa Hill,
separated by the steep canyon of the North Fork of the American River.
Their toll road was active from 1870 until 1895. It was largely
forgotten for sixty years until its revival as a hiking trail from Colfax - formerly known as
to the confluence of Secret Ravine and the North Fork of the American River.
More information about hiking the Stevens Trail is available at the
Bureau of Land Management website.