National Register #73000419
Dutch Flat Historic District
Main and Stockton Streets
The Dutch Flat Historic District contains 480 acres with
forty-five contributing buildings.
Dutch Flat was originally called Dutch Charlie's Flat after Charles Dornbach, one of
two German brothers who settled here in 1851. (Dutch is a common corruption
of Deutsch as in the Pennsylvania Dutch who were immigrants from Germany, not
the Netherlands. In his book California Place Names, Erwin Gudde notes that California has
almost one hundred places with Dutch in their names, but only two with German.
In his 1857 book, Three Years in California, John David Borthwick, a Scottish artist and gold prospector,
wrote: "Europeans ...save French, English and 'Eyetalians,' are in California classed under the
general denomination of Dutchmen.")
For more information on Dutch Flat, please see
California Historical Landmark 397.