National Register #03001478
Claus and Hannchen Schmidt House
508 Southwest 5th Street
In the 1880's, Claus and Hannchen Schmidt came to America from Europe and settled near the Rogue River on a homestead. They and their five
children farmed until the beginning of the 20th Century when Mr. Schmidt opened a grocery store in Grants Pass. He built this family home,
originally four rooms on one floor, with local brick and added the wood-shingled second story later. The family store remained in business
Today, the Schmidt House is occupied by the Josephine County Historical Society.